This DVD was filmed on Location In Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales. John Doan performs and tells stories throughout the Celtic Isles where he composed the music for his Eire and Wayfarer recordings. See inside ancient ruins, perch on rocks along roughed coastlines, and look in on a quiet moment late in the evening when all the tourists are gone and candles flicker. This is an enchanting adventure that is part travelogue, music video, and history lesson all in one. Be prepared to be transported outside of time.
“A Celtic Pilgrimage” features the award winning music from “Eire – Isle of the Saints,” which won “Best Celtic Album of the Year,” and “Wayfarer – Ancient Paths to Sacred Places,” nominated for “Best Celtic Album of the Year.”
I went on location to musically chronicle the life and times of St. Patrick and others that were part of Ireland’s “Golden Age” from centuries ago. Breath taking landscapes, dramatic stories, and soulful melodies and arrangements were brought back and recorded. In concert I will be accompanied by a multimedia show created by noted photographer and media design master Dennis Wiancko. Add to this stories told in the Bardic tradition and you have yourself a Celtic pilgrimage across time and space. When you see the DVD you will understand the other worldly effect of wind blown landscapes and ancient stone structures that served as the background to the pageantry of Irish history and will be amazed at how strongly its themes resonate with the challenges of our modern times.
- Video Production Written and Produced by John Doan
- Music by John Doan
- Music Produced by Billy Oskay
- Video Directed by Deirdra Doan
- Videography and Artwork by Deirdra Doan
- Executive Editor Jon McNeill
- Editing Assistance by David Spangler (Saint Patrick in the Spirit, Where Horses of Faery Hide)
- Rough Editing by Johathon Stearns – Return To Whatever Studios, Los Angeles
- Photography by Dennis Wiancko – The Home Place Studio
- Sound Design by Cal Scott
- Consultant for Ancient Gaelic (Gaeilge) on “Patrick In The Spirit”: Jack Nelson and Ger Killeen
- Custom microphones and Neve pre-amps by Klaus Heyne – German Masterworks
- Project Sponsors – Dick and Nell Doan, Dale Porterie and Jon McNeill
Special Thanks to:
- Jon Birge
- Stephen Hill
- Billy Oskay
- Dennis Wiancko
- Burl Ives
- Bob Stark
- Lee Cantelon
- Rick Shaw
- Ed Hoke
- Kate and Ilene O’Moore
- Michael O’ Domhnaill
- Dick and Nell Doan
- Deirdra Doan
- Michael Mitton
- A. M. Allchin
- Thomas Cahill
- and to all the wonderful people of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England that showed us hospitality while sharing their rich culture and heritage.
Honorary Thanks to the following who changed the world and brought light into a dark place.
- Saint Patrick
- Saint Joseph
- Saint Columba
- Saint Melangell
- Jesus Christ
Filmed in the following locations:
- INTRO: Background Music – THE HUNTER AND THE HARE: Glendalough, Ireland
- WHERE HORSES OF FAERY HIDE: County Donegal, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Mull, Scotland
- ST JOSEPH ARRIVES IN AVALON: Gastonbury, England and Navan Fort, Northern Ireland
- WAKE – WAITING FOR THE DAWN: Hill of Tara, Ireland, Isle of Mull, Scotland
- SAINT PATRICK IN THE SPIRIT: Hill of Tara and Slane, Ireland and Kilmartin, Scotland
- THE WAY OF MY FATHERS: Iona, Scotland
- YEATS COUNTRY WHERE WILLIAM LIES: Drumcliff, County Sligo, Ireland
- THE HUNTER AND THE HARE: Pennant Melangell, Wales
Special thank you to the National Historic Parks of Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales and to all the many people how knowingly or unknowingly allowed our use of their property to capture these timeless sites on video.
- FAREWELL: John Doan – harp guitar; Billy Oskay – violin and keyboards.
- WHERE HORSES OF FAERY HIDE: John Doan – harp guitar; Jim Chapman – whistle; Tarik Banzi – Darbuka; Gregg Williams – cymbal wash, egg shakers, and goat’s toenails; Billy Oskay and Cal Scott – Keyboards.
- ST JOSEPH ARRIVES IN AVALON: John Doan – harp guitar; Nancy Ives – cello; Mike Synder – cymbal washes.
- WAKE – WAITING FOR THE DAWN: John Doan – harp guitar; Billy Oskay – fiddles; Randal Bays – Celtic guitar; Karl Blume, Terry Ross, Gregory Potter, and Blake Applegate – vocals; Bob Stark – keyboards and sound design.
- SAINT PATRICK IN THE SPIRIT: John Doan – harp guitar; Jim Chapman – whistle; Eric Rigler – uilleann pipes; Billy Oskay – fiddle; Randal Bays – Celtic guitar; Karl Blume, Terry Ross, Gregory Potter, and Blake Applegate – vocals; Cal Scott – keyboards and midi percussion.
- THE WAY OF MY FATHERS: John Doan – harp guitar; Cal Scott – keyboards; Billy Oskay – viola.
- YEATS COUNTRY WHERE WILLIAM LIES: John Doan – harp guitar; Jim Chapman – whistle; Randal Bays – Celtic guitar; Billy Oskay – violin and fiddle; Sandin Wilson – Fretless bass; Gregg Williams – cymbals.
- THE HUNTER AND THE HARE: John Doan – harp guitar; Cal Scott – keyboards and midi percussion; Randal Bays – Celtic guitar.
Music Selections from the Following Recordings:
Eire – Isle of the Saints:
- Where Horses of Faery Hide
- Wake – Waiting for the Dawn
- Yeats Country – Where William Lies:
- Patrick In The Spirit
Wayfarer – Ancient Paths to Sacred Places:
- St Joseph Arrives In Avalon
- The Way of my Fathers
- The Hunter and the Hare
Harp guitar by John Sullivan with Jeffrey Elliott (1986)
- On board pickups by Baggs
- John Doan uses La Bella Strings
All selections composed by John Doan, Heirloom Serenades (BMI), ©~p 1997, 1999
Farewell arranged by John Doan, All other selections are produced, arranged, and recorded by Billy Oskay with John Doan at Billy’s Studio. Additional recording by Bob Stark at White Horse Studio, Portland, Oregon.
Mixed by Bob Stark at White Horse Studio, Portland, OR.
Sound Design by Billy Oskay, Cal Scott, and Bob Stark.
Custom mastered by Stephen Hill.
All recordings used by permission from Hearts O’ Space Records, D/B/A Valley Entertainment, Inc.
Hearts O’Space ©P 1997, 1999
Hearts Of Space P.O. Box 31321
San Francisco, CA 94131
(c) Tapestry Productions 2006
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
John Doan Music
If you like this album, why not add another John Doan album to your collection:
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - John's Only Solo Harp Guitar Recording
- Departures - The First Ever Harp Guitar Recording.
- Eire - Isle of the Saints - Voted "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- Harp Guitars Under the Stars - The First Duet Harp Guitar Recording.
- Homage to Sor - Recorded on First Panormo Guitar
- Remembrance - Melodies from a Forgotten Era
- The Lost Music of Fernando Sor - First Ever Recording for Harpolyre
- Wayfarer - Nominated "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- Wrapped In White - "Editors Choice" Billboard Magazine
John Doan offers Sheet Music for guitar and harp guitar for many of his albums.
DVDs with John Doan
The following DVDs are available for sale featuring John Doan.
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - A Visual and Musical Journey to "Thin Places"
- In Search of the Harp Guitar - It's History, Makers, and Players
- Primal Twang - A Virtual "Who's Who" of the Guitar World
- Victorian Christmas - Emmy Nominated "Best Entertainment Special of the Year"