The CD “Departures” is current not available as a physical CD though we are exploring options to re-release this popular CD.However, you can purchase digital downloads of individual songs or the whole album through iTunes.
“…his playing is an exquisite union of the ancient and the contemporary, the austere and the sensual.”
The Washington Post (May 25, 2006)
John Doan’s “Departures” is described as one of the finest contemporary instrumental music compositions, a thoughtful, often sublime lyricism and subtle classical music portrayal of Celtic music on the harp guitar “definitely worth going out of your way to find.”
“In tune with the past, a Renaissance man among musicians.”
Victoria Magazine (May 25, 2006)
“Doan’s Work is authentic; it encourages one to pause and reflect.”
Portland Life & Business Magazine (May 25, 2006)
- Tra Amici 5:39
- Leaving Dun Laoghaire 5:04
- Wings of the Morning 5:35
- Visit to Heaven 6:42
- Winter’s Eve 6:08
- Beloved 4:41
- Night Crossing 6:40
- Anthem 4:54
“…a rare find …warms the soul as it enthralls.”
Jazziz Magazine (May 25, 2006)
“Rings with beauty, depth and traditional value … John’s music achieves a level of emotional, sonic, and musical quality that most artists would gladly work a lifetime for.”
Stephen Hill – Hearts of Space (PBS) (May 25, 2006)
Other John Doan Music, Sheet Music, DVDs, and Books
If you like this album, why not add another John Doan album to your collection:
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - John's Only Solo Harp Guitar Recording
- Departures - The First Ever Harp Guitar Recording.
- Eire - Isle of the Saints - Voted "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- New: Into the Quiet - A Musical Meditation.
- Harp Guitars Under the Stars - The First Duet Harp Guitar Recording.
- Homage to Sor - Recorded on First Panormo Guitar
- Remembrance - Melodies from a Forgotten Era
- The Lost Music of Fernando Sor - First Ever Recording for Harpolyre
- Wayfarer - Nominated "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- Wrapped In White - "Editors Choice" Billboard Magazine
John Doan offers Sheet Music for guitar and harp guitar for many of his albums.
The following DVDs are available for sale featuring John Doan.
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - A Visual and Musical Journey to "Thin Places"
- In Search of the Harp Guitar - It's History, Makers, and Players
- Primal Twang - A Virtual "Who's Who" of the Guitar World
- Victorian Christmas - Emmy Nominated "Best Entertainment Special of the Year"
John Doan's book, The Lost Music of Fernando Sor Harpolyre Transcriptions for Guitar, is now out. It is a perfect accompaniment to his beautiful Fernando Sor CDs, The Lost Music of Fernando Sor and Homage to Sor.