The timeless tradition of carols, the sweet nostalgia evoked by dozens of vintage acoustic instruments: John Doan returns us to the cozy glow of an ideal Christmas warmly remembered, lovingly retold. This work is unlike any other Christmas album as it takes you back to a quieter time filled with joy and innocence.
“John Doan breathes new life into musty tunes with his pristine, intricate picking, which is laced with the delicacy of a snowflake … that evokes the nostalgic, mystical side of Christmas and leaves the shopping mall sentimentality behind.”
Billboard (May 25, 2006)
- Carol of the Bells 3:29
- Away in the Manger 0:31
- In the Manger 4:43
- We Three Kings 0:25
- Three Kings 3:38
- O Come O Come 4:49
- Angels We Have Heard On High & the First Noel 0:32
- The Angels First Noel 3:28
- Joy to the World (Edison Phonograph) 0:35
- Joy to the World 1:36
- Jesu Joy 2:54
- Born Is Jesus the Infant King 0:20
- Infant King 4:05
- It Came Upon a Midnight Clear 2:17
- Jolly Old Saint Nicholas 0:27
- Jolly Old King Wenceslas 4:49
- Go Tell It 2:51
- O Christmas Tree 1:28
- Silent Night (Gem Roller Organ) 0:28
- Silent Night 2:23
- Old Long Since (Auld Lang Syne) 2:33
“The Ultimate One-Man Band – John Doan: Wrapped In White…is literally joy for, as well as to the world. It offers a glorious sonic toy shop of refreshing delights that revitalizes the whole field… It’s crazed, utterly endearing and wonderfully inventive. He has rejuvenated this music as I would never have thought possible, transforming the unendurable into levels of high enchantment. For a Christmas disc, this is IT. Highest possible recommendation.”
In Tune Magazine (May 25, 2006>
“Wrapped In White – Visions of Christmas Past is one of the best Christmas albums. John Doan Plays Christmas carols with gentle touches that make this music seem like it arrived out of a Middle Eastern desert and was dropped into the snow of Doan’s home state of Oregon.”
Echodisc (May 25, 2006>
“Talk about traditional. Guitarist John Doan has it pegged on Wrapped In White. Twenty-one Christmas carols are brought into the 20th century courtesy of authentic 19th century instruments from Victorian America. A glossary of instrument descriptions in the liner notes makes this record as educational as it is just plain fun to listen to.”
L.A. Jazz Scene (May 25, 2006>
“This album is really extraordinary one. John Doan presents traditional tunes with love, care, respect and improvisation, so each composition has got a feel of its own. It is interesting that the music sounds both in the old and in the modern manner, but very romantically and masterly. Everything is performed on the highest professional level, with perfect quality and taste. Do not miss this remarkable and original project. This beautiful music is very good to listen to in a good company of friends, with a glass of wine, near a fireplace, or just alone. It helps to feel yourself in a romantic, comfortable atmosphere.”
Jazz Quad magazine (May 25, 2006>
“The combination of well-known carols, authentic 19th century instruments and Doan’s sensitive performances is an irresistible one. With his battery of vintage instruments, Doan commands a wide and varied palette of delightful timbres, which somehow seem perfectly chosen for a given song or mood. By dipping into the past, Wrapped In White offers a unique musical vision for the present.”
Whole Life Times (May 25, 2006>
“If you want a break from shopping malls and Las Vegas-style Christmas lights, this CD will transport you to a simpler time when evergreens first came indoors and the tradition of hanging ornaments began. John Doan has created one of this year’s most memorable Holiday treasures.”
The Texas Triangle (May 25, 2006>
“…soft and lyrical and very pretty…the interpretations are a delight…makes you feel wrapped in white.”
Desert News (May 25, 2006)
Other John Doan Music, Sheet Music, DVDs, and Books
If you like this album, why not add another John Doan album to your collection:
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - John's Only Solo Harp Guitar Recording
- Departures - The First Ever Harp Guitar Recording.
- Eire - Isle of the Saints - Voted "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- New: Into the Quiet - A Musical Meditation.
- Harp Guitars Under the Stars - The First Duet Harp Guitar Recording.
- Homage to Sor - Recorded on First Panormo Guitar
- Remembrance - Melodies from a Forgotten Era
- The Lost Music of Fernando Sor - First Ever Recording for Harpolyre
- Wayfarer - Nominated "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- Wrapped In White - "Editors Choice" Billboard Magazine
John Doan offers Sheet Music for guitar and harp guitar for many of his albums.
The following DVDs are available for sale featuring John Doan.
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - A Visual and Musical Journey to "Thin Places"
- In Search of the Harp Guitar - It's History, Makers, and Players
- Primal Twang - A Virtual "Who's Who" of the Guitar World
- Victorian Christmas - Emmy Nominated "Best Entertainment Special of the Year"
John Doan's book, The Lost Music of Fernando Sor Harpolyre Transcriptions for Guitar, is now out. It is a perfect accompaniment to his beautiful Fernando Sor CDs, The Lost Music of Fernando Sor and Homage to Sor.