John plays “Farewell” leading off the first of these highly successful samplers (listed below) of new sounds in Celtic inspired music. An international hit, the album topped Billboard’s charts for a year and has since sold over 500,000 copies. “Farewell” with chamber orchestra is featured on Eire – Isle of the Saints, which won “Best Celtic Album of the Year,” and in a solo harp guitar version on “A Celtic Pilgrimage” CD as well as on the A Celtic Pilgrimage DVD.
Sharing in this ground breaking recording are such artists as Loreena McKennitt, Alasdair Fraser, Joanie Madden, Davy Spillane, Nightnoise, among others.
John got his inspiration for this piece while playing bedside for American folk legend Burl Ives. They had talked about the tradition of bards and how Burl had identified with his Irish roots and had even modeled his singing after John McCormick who was a famous Irish tenor. He spoke of how he saw his role as reminding people of their roots so that they would have a better idea of who they are now so that they can better walk proudly into their future. He was in the later stages of leukemia and had to remain lying for great periods of time. As John played on into the evening Burl drifted to sleep listening to this improvised tribute to America’s last great bard.
Please check out the other samplers featuring John Doan and other artists from his Sampler Releases:
- Beyond Six Strings
- Celtic Twilight Vol. 2
- Celtic Twilight Vol. 4
- Celtic Twilight Vol. 5
- Christmas Past
- Christmas Present
- Harp Guitar Dreams
John Doan Music
If you like this album, why not add another John Doan album to your collection:
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - John's Only Solo Harp Guitar Recording
- Departures - The First Ever Harp Guitar Recording.
- Eire - Isle of the Saints - Voted "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- New: Into the Quiet - A Musical Meditation.
- Harp Guitars Under the Stars - The First Duet Harp Guitar Recording.
- Homage to Sor - Recorded on First Panormo Guitar
- Remembrance - Melodies from a Forgotten Era
- The Lost Music of Fernando Sor - First Ever Recording for Harpolyre
- Wayfarer - Nominated "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- Wrapped In White - "Editors Choice" Billboard Magazine
John Doan offers Sheet Music for guitar and harp guitar for many of his albums.
DVDs with John Doan
The following DVDs are available for sale featuring John Doan.
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - A Visual and Musical Journey to "Thin Places"
- In Search of the Harp Guitar - It's History, Makers, and Players
- Primal Twang - A Virtual "Who's Who" of the Guitar World
- Victorian Christmas - Emmy Nominated "Best Entertainment Special of the Year"