DVD price $19.97
For the music CD of Victorian Christmas, see the Wrapped In White album.
Although traditions at Christmas have changed over the years we still strive to retain the season’s warmth by spending time with family and friends. John Doan reminds us here in these programs of what our history was by bringing it back to life with stories and songs of the season. You just might find yourself laughing, singing, and cherishing those you love as you enjoy these holiday specials. This DVD contains both Oregon Public Broadcasting programs “A Christmas to Remember with John Doan” and “A Victorian Christmas with John Doan.”
A Christmas To Remember With John Doan (OPB and PBS)
This Oregon Public Broadcasting (1991) teleplay classic has become a favorite among John’s many fans. It is a musical and dramatic television special acting out how a family rediscovered the meaning of the season. John plays the part of a magical recluse living near Mount Hood in Oregon. His cabin is full of instruments hanging from the walls. A family is in the midst of fighting while driving in the car to a company Christmas Party. The car brakes down in the snow on a remote road in front of John’s cabin so they seek warmth and use of a phone but receive much more from their brief visit. The program features performances on old instruments by John and the entire cast.
A Victorian Christmas With John Doan (OPB)
This Oregon Public Broadcasting production (1993) earned an Emmy Award Nomination for” Best Entertainment Special of the Year.” It features John Doan on numerous instruments with dialogue, humor, and special guests. John tells of a time a century ago when people actually entertained themselves and each other and demonstrates what it was like by leading sing-alongs, playing dozens of authentic yet forgotten instruments, all the while sharing our history in a way that is both fun and thought provoking for the audience.
“Call him Mr. Christmas.”
“Queen Victoria might be amused by John Doan’s Victorian Christmas … She might not recognize the American carols, but the tiny banjuerine would surely bring a smile to those stern lips.”
“John Doan … has created a new Northwest tradition with his annual Victorian Christmas concerts. It is a special holiday gift.”
Oregon Focus Magazine
“John Doan’s A Victorian Christmas is a stellar performance by one of Oregon’s finest musicians, an old-fashioned holiday sing-along for all ages, and a history lesson woven in one.
Jefferson Public Radio
Other John Doan Music, Sheet Music, DVDs, and Books
If you like this album, why not add another John Doan album to your collection:
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - John's Only Solo Harp Guitar Recording
- Departures - The First Ever Harp Guitar Recording.
- Eire - Isle of the Saints - Voted "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- New: Into the Quiet - A Musical Meditation.
- Harp Guitars Under the Stars - The First Duet Harp Guitar Recording.
- Homage to Sor - Recorded on First Panormo Guitar
- Remembrance - Melodies from a Forgotten Era
- The Lost Music of Fernando Sor - First Ever Recording for Harpolyre
- Wayfarer - Nominated "Best Celtic Album of the Year"
- Wrapped In White - "Editors Choice" Billboard Magazine
John Doan offers Sheet Music for guitar and harp guitar for many of his albums.
The following DVDs are available for sale featuring John Doan.
- A Celtic Pilgrimage - A Visual and Musical Journey to "Thin Places"
- In Search of the Harp Guitar - It's History, Makers, and Players
- Primal Twang - A Virtual "Who's Who" of the Guitar World
- Victorian Christmas - Emmy Nominated "Best Entertainment Special of the Year"
John Doan's book, The Lost Music of Fernando Sor Harpolyre Transcriptions for Guitar, is now out. It is a perfect accompaniment to his beautiful Fernando Sor CDs, The Lost Music of Fernando Sor and Homage to Sor.